If anyone has visited this site in the last few years, you’ll notice I’ve removed a lot of old content for personal reasons. If anyone ever wants to see any of it again, please contact me directly. As if 😉
November 2, 2019 by tbholdren
January 11, 2012 by tbholdren
To be honest, I really shouldn’t like him. Anyone that makes John Elway happy (after The Drive) should not be on my nice list.
There are several reason to like Tim Tebow, but I’ll list just a few:
- This kid loves football, and he loves what he’s doing. His heartfelt celebrations after every play are evidence enough of this. It’s always a pleasure to watch someone who enjoys their work.
- He’s a running quarterback! How exciting is it to watch someone who’s supposed to throw the ball out of bounds whenever a receiver isn’t open instead tear off down the field and go head-to-head with the biggest defenders in the league? The added threat of a great rushing passer keeps defenses on their toes and makes games more unpredictable. Very fun.
- Who doesn’t love an underdog? David vs. Goliath. This unorthodox, scrappy team’s on-field leader has been told since he was drafted that he’s not cut out for the NFL. First they said he’d never win a game. Then they said he’d never have a string of wins. Then they said he’d never make the playoffs. Then they said he’d never win a playoff game. Now they’re saying he’ll never beat Tom Brady’s Patriots. I know who I’m rooting for 🙂
- Every time this guy gets criticized (and he does, constantly, from every direction), he just stays humble, smiles and keeps on doing what he’s doing. If you know who you are, and are confident, you can succeed despite the most withering attacks from anyone. I love that.
- All of his charity work, even if he weren’t a Christian, makes him a great person. There’s the Tim Tebow Foundation. Through it, he’s builing a hospital in the place of his birth (The Phillipines) for the people there, and there’s the W15H deal where he meets with children with disabilities to encourage them like Bailey Knaub.
- How often these days do you see an NFL player who actually WANTS to be a role model to kids?
- This guy is genuine. Whether it’s kneeling after every success to give thanks to God, or keeping himself pure until marriage, Tim Tebow is a genuine Christian. Maybe he doesn’t know the message of the hour, but it seems to me he’s living what he knows, and I pray God always blesses him for that. Like it’s been said, “When asked about his team, he praises them. When asked about his coaches, he praises them. When asked about himself, he praises God.”
Win or lose against the patriots next week, I have a new favorite player in the NFL. I just hope they don’t have to play the Browns in the playoffs next year.
I’ll leave you with my favorite Tebow clip… they had a microphone on him all game when they had a come-from-behind miracle win against the Chicago Bears. Why is he so cool under pressure and criticism? Listen to him sing, “Our God is an Awesome God” as he takes the field…
My favorite quote from that video, “Dear Jesus, I need You. Please come through for me. No matter what, win or lose. Lord, give me the strength to honor You.”
Does God care about who wins football games? I seriously doubt it. But, I truly believe God would honor and answer a prayer like that.
September 14, 2011 by sholdren
Today was Silas’ first day of preschool! In fact, he is there right now, as I’m typing this blog post. He is excited about it, and had no problem with me leaving him there. I walked him to his classroom, and he found his name card and put it on the wall where all the kids put their names. He loves spelling his name. Then he put his backpack on one of the hooks on the wall. I gave him a kiss and hug, and when I left, he was playing cars and building a road with another kid. I can’t wait to hear how his day went when I pick him up!
Here are some pics of Silas before preschool today. He didn’t want to smile for the pics. I think he thought he was too grown up. 🙂
My little boy is growing up!
August 22, 2011 by sholdren
After a rainfall yesterday, we saw a beautiful full rainbow, after which the kids decided to run around the neighborhood in boots!
Silas & Brianna enjoying the beautiful weather and sunset.
This is part of the rainbow. I couldn’t get the whole rainbow in one pic cuz it was so huge.
It’s nice that the weather is starting to get cooler, and we can enjoy more beautiful days like this one!
August 12, 2011 by sholdren
I know this is a little late, but I would like to announce the winners of the Annual Patriotic Culinary Contest 2011.
First place goes to Susanna Holdren for the “Star-Spangled Banner Cupcakes”!
“Oh Canada Mini Trifles” (by Sandi & Anna Hammermeister) and “American Girl Cotton Candy” (by Stephanie and Esther Fowler) TIED for 2nd place!
Oh Canada Mini Trifles – tied for 2nd place.
American Girl Cotton Candy – tied for 2nd place.
Good job, everyone! I hope we can do this contest again next year!
July 7, 2011 by sholdren
This year we had our annual Patriotic Culinary Contest, celebrating Canada Day and Independence Day! Below are the entries we received. Feel free to leave a comment to vote for your favorite! I’ll add up the votes on July 14th, and announce the winner then, so make sure you get your vote in right away!
Oh Canada Mini Trifles
by Sandi & Anna Hammermeister
Patriotic Banana Cream & Coconut Cream Pies
by Ruth Hoyer
American Girl Cotton Candy
by Stephanie & Esther Fowler
by Elsie McDermott
Star-Spangled Banner Cupcakes
by Susanna Holdren
June 11, 2011 by sholdren
The second app in our Little Scribes collection, Jewish Flash Cards, has recently become available on iTunes! Several Jewish-themed images have been added to it, along with most of the original artwork. It is compatible with the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad.
Click to view on iTunes!
May 21, 2011 by tbholdren
So, as I’m sure everyone has already heard, “THE RAPTURE IS HAPPENING ON MAY 21st.” Now, how some genius has poured over the bible, figured out the date of the rapture, but somehow missed:
“But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.” -Matthew 24:36
… is beyond me. I’m still here. Everyone I love is still here. The people who believed this are terribly disappointed, but… still here.
Thank you ever so much, Mr. False Prophet. This is whole kerfuffle you’ve created has basically become a giant point of scorn and derision for non-believers to poke fun at. All it does is tarnish the name of Christ, because, no matter how much we’d like to think you aren’t… you and your people are professed Christians, and non-believers will smear this in the face of the rest of us. I even heard one hyperventilating atheist claim that false hopes of a rapture have destroyed entire families, and should be outlawed!
(pssst… Isn’t it amazing how the intellectual elite are always the first to take a wild, murderous stab at freedom of speech in the interest of protecting the poor, the helpless… and apparently, now, the extremely gullible?)
There will be a rapture. But it’ll come as a thief in the night, not as a giant media extravaganza with CNN coverage.
Anyways, I’ll see all those I love in church tomorrow, and we’ll continue doing what we’ve always done: live and pray and work like the rapture will be tomorrow, even if it doesn’t come for another 50 years.
May 10, 2011 by sholdren
I had a very nice Mother’s Day this weekend! We went to church, took some pics, got something to eat, came home, and had a nice, relaxing evening!
The kids and I at church.
Brianna at church!
Brianna admiring Ally’s necklace.
My Hershey kiss rose from Silas. He wrote his name on the paper all by himself!
After making a lot of bubbles, Silas sprays off the driveway.
Brianna having fun spraying.
Brian and the kids around the campfire in the backyard.
Brianna helping me roast marshmallows!
I’m so glad to be a Mom to Silas and Brianna. They are my little sunshines.
May 3, 2011 by tbholdren
Looks like somebody finally gets to discover the answer to the question: Exactly how many virgins does Allah give you when you get to heaven?
“Nope. Sorry Mr. Bin Laden. Not even one.”
Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy. Although this won’t bring back any of our lost loved ones, our American brothers and sisters who died in the attack, nor the countless heroes lost fighting terrorism overseas… maybe it will help bring closure to the hearts and minds of a few of those bereaved. And possibly discourage “The Next Bin Laden.”
It may be too soon to look at this in terms of political impact… but this will definitely give Obama a bump with moderates and conservatives… for a while. The media is currently portraying the president as not only a decisive commander in chief, they’re practically putting him in the compound pulling the trigger on Osama!
“You gotta ask yourself, Osama… do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?”
Like I said, this will help him out with his poll numbers. Oddly, the people who love him the most are the ones who won’t be impressed at what was accomplished. The left abhors the war on terror, any display of American force, and our military in general. So this won’t win him any points with his disenfranchised base.
I, personally, applaud the president for his decisive action in this case. I didn’t think he had it in him, and I was proven wrong. I still wouldn’t vote for him in any election, anywhere. But credit where credit is due… begrudgingly 🙂